Monday, July 6, 2009

Glitter Theory

Ill add pictures later but I have the totals for May and June.
May was awesome!!! Chicks totally rocked the month of May. I sent out two big boxes with nearly 44, thats Forty-four POUNDS of books sent out. Awesome!
You can tell June is the month when school gets out and everyone gets a little more busy. June was a smaller batch one good size box at about 6.5lbs of books.
I was getting a box prepared to take to the post office and Em asked what I was doing. I explained to her that I was sending books off to children that didn't have a home and that we hoped these books would make it a little bit better. She was so sweet about it and said,
"Oh my that's so sad. I hope the children get a home soon. I like reading books I hope that it makes them feel better too."
I am so grateful for this opportunity to do this small thing and for the opportunity it gave me to have a chance to talk with my girl about giving and helping. It is sometimes hard to explain to a child the sadness that is a part of the world without scaring them or making them feel unsafe or even making it real to them. This has been a great things for my children to see service in action from all the Chicks and knowing that children just like them may be in need and we may not be able to fix everything but we can take little steps to make things a little brighter for others.
I gave a lesson the other day in church about doing and creating. I shared that when we do and create something and give it away to another we feel peace, joy and bliss. I compared it to working with glitter. I love glitter, it's one of those girly things for me. If it sparkles I just love it that much more. However, have you ever noticed that when you work with glitter it gets on everything! Youll have glitter in your hair and behind your ears and whatever, or whomever you touch is going to get a bit on them. There a comedian who said, "Glitter is the herpes of the craft world." (I didnt share that quote with my church ladies but it made me laugh. Well my theory is that doing/creating and then giving it away is like glitter. You can't do something you love without sparkling a little bit, and when you give it away then someone else gets some of that sparkle on them and it spreads. Thus, the Glitter Theory.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

What a great theory! I'm going to have to use that one.

Heather said...

Lol! I love the herpes comment, you totally should have added that. ;) And I found glitter on the baby yesterday afternoon from those awesome bookmarks. The love is spreading! :D

Thanks again btw, you gave an excellent lesson. xoxo -H

Bloomin'Chick Jo said...

The Glitter Theory, I love it!

Cindy said...

Just love your Glitter Theory! Thanks for sharing!