The other day I was at the park with the kidlets. I was pushing my daughter, who was born blind. She loves the swing. She leans back and the wind blows through her hair and she delights in the moment. My little girl who is normally cautious and restrained loves nothing more than to go higher faster and further on the swing.
We were talking as I was pushing her and she said "Mom I want to dream big." She says the most profound things at times.
"That's wonderful, you should always dream big," I tell her fully encouraging her to do pretty much whatever she says. Then in the midst of her profound words she makes me think in ways I never do.
"Mom, how do you dream big?"
How do you dream big? It had always been an understood phrase. I didn't think about it because I didn't have to. You just dream big. However, I know my little girl and I know that answer is not going to suffice. She is like the Little Prince and will not rest until she has the answer to the question to the mysteries of her world at the moment. She can not be thrown off track. So, I must think of an answer. I must not only think of an answer but it must be a good answer, a logical answer, it must make sense to her and to others. There is a big chance she will repeat my information and not only do I want her to understand things but I also don't want her to pass on information that only makes sense in Dr. Seuss books.
"To dream big means that you experience life to it's fullest. You try new things even if they are scary You don't let fear or worry get in your way and stop you from doing things. If you want to dream big you have to experience as much as possible."
I push her the way she loves by grabbing her feet and pulling her back as far as I can and then letting her free fall. She giggles with delight and a smile that rivals the sun for brightness.
"I have to experience things so I can dream big?"
"Yep," I say "that's how it works. You have to try things and not stop."
"I want to experience new things Mom. I want to dream big."
Something in my heart grows bigger and I wonder if my ribs have the capacity to grow quick enough to accommodate the new growth of my heart.
Another push.
Dream Big.
Cinnamon Roll Bubble Bites
4 months ago
2 comments:
Oh, my god, honey bunches! I am crying in my cubicle right now. Tera I wish I was a more literate woman so I could produce words that explain how very touched I am by reading this. I feel like water is pouring over my head, like I'm standing in a waterfall. And I am breathless.
Thank you.
~Amanda, from goodreads.
i have no words... you are wonderful! and so is your little girl!
Post a Comment