The topic got brought up on Chicks on Lit about our One Word Intentions for the year. It's a really great thread if you want to read it. In short, the idea is to pick the one word that best describes your intentions for the new year. Keeping it to one word really makes you think about it. It is easier to write pages of your new year intentions but to try to boil it down to one word takes thought and maybe that's what we all need as we go forward - more thought. Surprisingly I did this last year too. My word last year was "Enjoy". I really wanted to enjoy my life, my children, my husband, the moments that come and go without recognition. Enjoy was my word and I can not tell you how many times I remembered it through the year and how it helped to remind me to do just that. The thing about One Word Intentions is you have to do more than just name them you have to put your word in places throughout your life so you will be reminded and it will become part of your world. I had "Enjoy" on my chalkboard, mirrors, computer monitor all over.
January 5th and it's time for a new word. Again, I spent a lot of time thinking about what my word would be. What was my real intention for the year to come? What did I want to help shape me and further define myself with. I ran through a list of words, some really great words. In the end I kept coming back to the same word time and time again. SPIRIT. Then I decided to look up the word to see what it meant and where it came from. This is what I found:
The English word "spirit" comes from the Latin spiritus, meaning "breath" (compare spiritus asper), but also "soul, courage, vigor".
How great is that for orgins? Breath? Soul? Courage? Vigor? AWESOME words.
Okay if you think that is great, then take a look at the definitions assigned to it.
Spirit... the principle of conscious life; the vital principle in humans, animating the body or mediating between body and soul.
Spirit... the incorporeal part of humans
Spirit... the soul regarded as separating from the body at death.
Spirit... conscious, incorporeal being, as opposed to matter.
Spirit... an attitude or principle that inspires, animates, or pervades thought, feeling, or action. Spirit... the divine influence as an agency working in the human heart.
Spirit... a divine, inspiring, or animating being or influence.
Spirit... the third person of the Trinity; Holy Spirit.
Spirit... the soul or heart as the seat of feelings or sentiments, or as prompting to action.
Spirit... excellent disposition or attitude in terms of vigor, courage, firmness of intent, etc.
My word for 2009 is "Spirit".
I will connect to my spirit. I will show spirit in all I do. I will become more spiritual. I will feel the spirit in my life. I will let my spirit shine and not hide it. I will have spirit in all I do. I will catch my breath... catch my spirit
Cinnamon Roll Bubble Bites
4 months ago
3 comments:
That is an awesome word!
Your word is perfect for you. When I think about you I think of a lively, spirited lady who lives her life to the fullest. Your word describes you to a T for me! By the way, your blog is beautiful, I absolutely love it!
Hey Tera! this is Tiffany Sheppard's friend...can i get your email? I have a question for you! join21@gmail.com Thanks!
Post a Comment