I have to tell you about some incredible awesome women.
Let me backtrack...
A year ago today I got the wild hair to start a reading group on goodreads for women. No grand thoughts other than to have a place to discuss books with women. No offense to men, and I love my husband but I just really believe in the power and strength of women and wanted that to come through with the group.
So a year ago today Chicks On Lit was born on Goodreads. Through the year it has grown from a small handfull to today 900 women strong. When I say strong I really mean strong. There is no mold to put them into. There is no catagory that covers all of them other than to say they are strong beautiful women. In the last year we have discussed life and death, we have said prayers and cracked jokes, we have read books and found ourselves in their pages, but most of all in the last year we have grown together to form a sort of sisterhood. Most of us have never met one another but as Shawna put it 'chicks know chicks'.
Today for our anniversary we did a present exchange. Everyone who wanted to participate got put into a pool and everyone got another's name and address with the idea to send something small to arrive no later than today when we would all open them and celebrate one year. How fun it has been to watch some of them sit and stew and draw upon all their will power to NOT open that present until today. When the time came and presents were open it was so much fun not only to see what you got but to find out who got something for you, to delight in one anothers joy.
I also announced today Night Night Chicks. This year CoL will work together and give back our love of reading to others. Through out the year we will gather books for children to be sent to Project Night Night a group that puts together comfort totes for children spending the night in homeless shelters. They put a blanket, a stuffed animal and a book for the children. When I researched programs that would be fun and rewarding for us to do I kept coming back to this one. It called to me you might say. Through the year I will document the books in amount and weight and pictures that we send off to Project Night Night and at this time next year I can't wait to share with them and all of you what the power of women can do. Prepare to be amazed.
I am already amazed by all of them. I am inspired daily by the things they do and the thoughts they share.
To all my fellow Chicks,
Thanks from the bottom of my heart
T~
Cinnamon Roll Bubble Bites
4 months ago
5 comments:
Thank YOU TERA! For all you've done for us Chicks! I am grateful that you started this wonderful group and I LOVE being a part of it!
Tera you are one awesome lady!! I am so grateful to you for coming up with ALL of the brilliant ideas you have and my life is a million times better having Chicks on Lit in it. You ladies are awesome and I love my friends I've made thanks to this wonderful group you created. Keep'em comin' Tera!!
Tera you are the best! You've created a group that feels like we have known each other forever.That my darling is a very rare thing. No cat fights just love for each other. I'm proud I found this group and the ladies there.
Tera,
You are the amazing and inspiring one! I haven't been on goodreads very long, but I can't imagine it without CoL. It just goes to show that you can create a wonderful community anytime, anywhere, or in our case everywhere. I am so happy about Project Night Night too. Thank you many times over!!
Tera you are an incredible Woman who creates and gets involved in incredible things and causes! THANK YOU for being who you are! Without you, I'm not sure how many of us would have come together in this last year even with Goodreads. CoL has been an incredible experience for me and my Chick friendships have inspired me and hlped me to a better place in my soul.
Post a Comment